The Horde Expedition represents the combined forces of the Horde in Northrend. Originally, the Expedition worked in common cause with the Alliance Vanguard against Arthas, but after the betrayal of Wrathgate, the Horde and Alliance have reverted to open warfare. The Horde Expedition includes:
- The Warsong Offensive - Thrall's forces, the military leaders of the Expedition. The Offensive is based out of Warsong Hold in the Borean Tundra and the Strand of the Ancients battleground. Other major fortresses are Agmar's Hammer in Dragonblight and Conquest Hold in the Grizzly Hills, as well as the airship Orgrim's Hammer in Icecrown.
- The Hand of Vengeance - the Forsaken presence in Northrend. The Hand's primary base is Vengeance Landing in Howling Fjord, with other smaller settlements in Howling Fjord and Venomspite in Dragonblight.
- The Taunka - a native Northrend race related to the tauren. A series of Horde quests in Dragonblight allows you to recruit the taunka as full members of the Horde. They may be found at Camp Winterhoof in Howling Fjord, Taunka'le Village in Borean Tundra, Camp Oneqwah in Grizzly Hills, and Camp Tunka'lo in the Storm Peaks.
- The Sunreavers - the faction of blood elves allowed in Dalaran due primarily to the advocacy of Archmage Aethas Sunreaver. Quests for the Sunreavers may be found at the Argent Tournament grounds in northeastern Icecrown.
Unlike other group factions, you have a separate faction standing with the Expedition as a whole as well as the individual components. Expedition faction is used to determine access to items from the faction quartermaster. The component faction standing is used to determine discounts at vendors of those factions. In general, any quest that yields reputation gains for one of the component factions has a 50% spillover to the Expedition as a whole and 25% to the other component factions (so a quest earning 250 Warsong Offensive reputation also usually earns 125 Horde Expedition reputation and 62.5 reputation with the Taunka, Hand, and Sunreavers).
There are two Expedition quartermasters: Gara Skullcrush in Warsong Hold and Sebastian Crane in Vengeance Landing.
- At Revered reputation with the Expedition, the quartermasters will issue:
- Bulwark of the Warchief
(Shield AC: 6337, Block: 174, Sta: 45, MinLvl: 78, Equip: +32 defense rating, +31 expertise rating)
- Charged Wand of the Cleft
(Wand DPS: 194.8, Dmg: 286-532 Fire, Spd: 2.10, Int: 18, Spi: 17, MinLvl: 78, Equip: +20 spell power)
- Darkspear Orb
(Off-hand Sta: 44, MinLvl: 78, Equip: +31 haste rating, +34 spell power)
- Sin'dorei Recurve Bow
(Bow DPS: 95.8, Dmg: 208-386, Spd: 3.10, Agi: 17, Sta: 27, MinLvl: 78, Equip: +18 hit rating)
- Warsong Punisher
(1H Mace DPS: 105.9, Dmg: 118-221, Spd: 1.60, Str: 26, Sta: 36, MinLvl: 78, Equip: +22 dodge rating)
- Warsong Shanker
(Dagger DPS: 106.0, Dmg: 111-207, Spd: 1.50, Agi: 27, Sta: 36, MinLvl: 78, Equip: +40 attack power)
- Warsong Stormshield
(Shield AC: 6337, Block: 174, Sta: 39, Int: 35, MinLvl: 78, Equip: +37 spell power)
- And at Exalted, the impressed warriors grant you access to:
Reputation from Kills
Kills in L80 Northrend dungeons give Horde Expedition faction unless you're Championing another faction with 50% spillover to each component faction.
The Horde Expedition quests may be found out of Vengeance Landing and Warsong Hold in addition to quests for the local faction. Dragonblight also has a set of quests out of Agmar's Hammer.
Repeatable Reputation Quests for the Horde Expedition
With the increase in hostilities with the Alliance, many Horde Expedition and Warsong Offensive daily quests are PvP-based, particularly in the Grizzly Hills. The Grizzly Hills quests will flag you for PvP when you accept the quest.
|[74P] Blackriver Brawl||Raider Captain Kronn, just south of the Blackriver Logging Camp, Grizzly Hills||Slay 10 Alliance units or players at the Blackriver Logging Camp||250 Expedition rep, 5.6g, 20750 xp (9.96g)|
|[74P] Keep 'Em on Their Heels||Commander Bargok, Blue Sky Logging Grounds, Grizzly Hills||Kill 15 Alliance units or players in Blue Sky Logging Ground||250 Offensive rep,125 Expedition rep, 5.6g, 20750 xp (9.96g)|
|[74P] Making Repairs||Lurz, Blue Sky Logging Grounds||Collect 4 Grooved Cogs, 3 Notched Sprockets, and 2 High Tension Springs||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 5.6g, 20750 xp (9.96g)|
|[74P] Overwhelmed!||Aumana, Blue Sky Logging Grounds||Use the Renewing Tourniquet on 10 Wounded Skirmishers||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 5.6g, 20750 xp (9.96g)|
|[74P] Shred the Alliance||Grekk, Blue Sky Logging Grounds||Acquire 3 shredders||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 5.6g, 20750 xp (9.96g)|
| Blood of the Chosen||Warbringer Davos Rioht, Orgrim's Hammer, Icecrown||Kill 20 vrykul in Ymirheim||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
|Do this in concert with "Assault by Ground", as the Ymirheim Defenders who attack the ground troops count towards the goal.|
| Assault by Air||Ground Commander Xutjia, Ymirheim, Icecrown||Xutjia and the Kor'kron Squad Leader are at the border of The Bombardment and the foot of the Ymirheim rise (58.3, 46.0). Use the Suppression Turret on the Horde Transport to limit anti-aircraft fire and allow 4 infiltrators to drop into Ymirheim||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
|There are some key points to succeed in this quest. First, make certain that the transport contains troops before you board it; on some servers, the troops either don't properly respawn or the Alliance kills them where they sit. Hold down both mouse buttons to target the cannonfire at the harpoon guns. It may help to zoom in to first-person view in order to target weapons nearby; note that the cannon cannot target directly below the fighter.|
| Assault by Ground||Kor'kron Squad Leader, Ymirheim||Escort the Kor'kron ground troops into Ymirheim, ensuring that at least 4 survive||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
|[80P] King of the Mountain||Blast Thunderbomb, Ymirheim||Plant the Horde Battle Standard atop the mountain||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
|Blast is located near (52.0, 57.6). To get this quest, you must complete "Get to Ymirheim!" given out by Chief Engineer Copperclaw on Orgrim's Hammer. Jump in the robot and use 3 (and mouse targeting) to cause the robot to jump to the top of the mountain. At the top of the mountain, use 1 to plant the flag. While this is a PvP quest, actual cases of PvP are rare. However, do this quest last so you aren't flagged while attempting the other quests in Ymirheim.|
| Keeping the Alliance Blind||Sky-Reaver Korm Blackscar, Orgrim's Hammer, Icecrown||Use the SGM-3 to destroy 6 Skybreaker Recon Fighters||250 Offensive rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
|This is unlocked after completing " Blinding the Eyes in the Sky". The fighters fly randomly in the skies in the western part of Aldur'thar.|
| A Blade Fit for a Champion/Edge of Winter/A Worthy Weapon||Magister Edien Sunhollow, Sunreaver Pavilion, Argent Tournament Grounds|
- Retrieve the Ashwood Brand from the Lake Frogs on the shore of Ashwood Lake (just south of Camp Oneqwah, Grizzly Hills). Note that you must use the lip balm before every kiss or you will not be able to convert the frog into the maiden (random chance). If anyone in the area finds the maiden, anyone else can also talk to her and get the sword. One useful tip is to create a macro similar to:
/cleartarget/target Lake Frog
/use Warts-B-Gone Lip Balm
- The second requires killing Lord Everblaze (L80 non-elite fire revenant) at the Titan building on the cliffs just east of the Crystal Vice (near 56, 74), looting the Everburning Ember, then traveling to Winter's Breath Lake in Howling Fjord, just southwest of Camp Winterhoof. The Maiden of Winter's Breath Lake is a dryad entombed in ice on a floe in the middle of the lake (42.2, 19.7). Using the ember on the Frozen Maid to gain the sword.
- The third requires collecting winter hyacinths from the icy lake in northwestern Crystalsong Forest. Use the hyacinths in the middle of the ring of floating objects in Drak'Mar Lake, on the border of Dragonblight and Grizzly Hills.
|250 Sunreaver rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
| Learning The Reins||Galathia Brightdawn, Sunreaver Pavilion, Argent Tournament Grounds||Complete: 5 Thrust attacks, 2 Shield-breaker, and 2 Charge attacks against targets at the training grounds.||250 Sunreaver rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
| Training in the Field||Amariel Sunsworn, Sunreaver Pavilion, Argent Tournament Grounds||Slay 8 Icecrown Scourge||250 Sunreaver rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
| A Blade Fit for a Champion/Edge of Winter/A Worthy Weapon||Racial-specific NPC, Sunreaver Pavilion, Argent Tournament Grounds||This is the same as the Aspirant quest, but uses faction-specific NPCs as the quest givers.
| A Valiant's Field Training||Racial-specific Master of Arms NPC, Sunreaver Pavilion, Argent Tournament Grounds||Slay 10 Icecrown Scourge||250 Sunreaver rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
| The Grand Melee||Racial-specific Master of Mounts NPC, Sunreaver Pavilion, Argent Tournament Grounds||Defeat three Valiants in the Valiants' Ring||250 Sunreaver rep, 125 Expedition rep, 7.4g, 22050 xp (13.23g)|
|One method to succeed at this is to start behind the Valiant NPC. Get your Defend up to 3 shields and start the fight. As the Valiant walks away, Charge, immediately Thrust, then immediately Shield Break and reapply Defend. Close to melee range and keep Thrusting while keeping Defend at 3 shields. When the Valiant attempts to walk away, repeat the Charge sequence. Note that you can continue to challenge Valiants until you turn in the quest, so you can get the Lance-a-Lot achievement on your first day as a Valiant.|
Engineers will need to pursue Expedition faction, as this is the source of the schematic for the Mechano-Hog motorcycle mount. Some of the faction rewards at Revered are very good if earned at L74. The Grizzly Hills quests are straightforward, although PvP always adds a random factor. If you can wait until late in the game, there are Icecrown dailies for both the Expedition and the Offensive which do not necessarily require PvP. Also, normal participation in the Argent Tournament will quickly build your Sunreaver standing.
There are achievements tied to reaching Exalted with the Expedition and acquiring a Mechano-Hog. There is also an achievement for completing all the PvP quests in Grizzly Hills at least once.
The best source of Sunreavers reputation is the Argent Tournament in Icecrown.